August 26, 2010

And Other Utterances

It is ‘Frosh Week’, which seems to mean that the neighbourhood goes to hell for a few days. Not being overly inclined to dwelling within Sodom and Gomorrah, I annually reflect on the reasons for this descent into every kind of vice. Alcohol, immaturity, and the complicity of the university authorities seem to make the lethal cocktail. The immaturity we may blame on the parents; the university should be ashamed of itself; the alcohol would perhaps not be such a problem without the other two. In any case, I wonder how many fun first weeks end in unanticipated tragedy of one form or another. The principal chant, boomed out military style all week by hordes of roaming children (with apologies to readers who’d care not to know), goes ‘Fuck, fuck, fuck, three cheers for fucking’. These words will no doubt haunt those afflicted with unintended pregnancies, diseases, and humiliations. And how many alcoholics begin their journey here?


 (c) 2010 academicmice.com

A less weighty observation to terminate this post: whooping, out of the mouths of young women, is unladylike; out of the mouths of young men it is effeminate. Can the young not find a more civilised way to utter their enthusiasm for their misguided lives?

6 comments:

  1. Don't be too quick to point the trigger to the parents

    ReplyDelete
  2. By no means are they solely responsible, but I assure you that I never rashly point my pen at anyone.
    VB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh, that time of year again. I try not to be too impatient with those kiddies starting school at the grocery store/Target, but what does scare me is their lack of attention to driving. I hate being on the roads this first week of classes...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fresher's week in Edinburgh is still a couple of weeks hence.Ehen it arrives, I shall hide in my office and only emerge to matriculate, pay my fees and go to the library thereby avoiding the roaming packs of new students testing their mettle against every vice the city offers. The central city universitiy here (where I attend) takes no responsibility for the behaviour of the Freshers (no idea what the other more campus-based ones do) and they wander the streets 'til all hours being as loud as possible etc. I haven't heard any chanting though. I'm rather concerned about the chant you mentioned, and completely agree about the many and various negative outcomes of all that unbridled lust etc. Rudderless ships rarely escape calamity, after all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rhubarb, I was nearly flattened by an errant cyclist just yesterday. It is indeed a frightening time.

    Liath, so glad to have you chip in. I can well imagine that Edinburgh offers plenty of opportunity for over-indulging. Thanks also for the kind words about this blog on yours. You'll find yourself quoted in the testimonials page.
    VB

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Vir Beatum, I'm glad you found the 'testamonial' in amongst the random Liquorice Allsort bag that currently passes for my blog!

    Also embarassed by the number or typos in last night's post - I blame the cold medicine I'm currently liberally imbibing, it does wonders for the sinuses but wreaks havoc on mental alertness.

    Here's wishing you a haven of calm amidst the week's madness,

    O.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails