March 01, 2010

Ad Nauseam: Dodge Charger

A few television commercials which purport to know something about manliness have been getting my goat recently. I hereby offer a transcript of the Dodge Charger effort, as well as the ad itself:

I will get up and walk the dog at 6:30 a.m. I will eat fruit as part of my breakfast. I will shave; I will clean the sink after I shave. I will be at work by 8 a.m. I will sit through two-hour meetings. I will say ‘yes’ when you want me to say ‘yes’. I will be quiet when you don’t want to hear me say ‘no’. I will take your call. I will listen to your opinion of my friends. I will listen to your friends’ opinions of my friends. I will be civil to your mother. I will put the seat down. I will separate the recycling. I will carry your lip balm. I will watch your vampire T.V. shows with you. I will take my socks off before getting into bed. I will put my underwear in the basket. And because I do this, I will drive the car I want to drive. Dodge Charger: a man’s last stand.


I really thought we were beyond all this nonsense. If I were to nitpick, in a missing-the-point kind of way, I would observe that any man who really felt this whipped by his work and his wife would scarcely have the temerity to dig in his heels about a second-rate muscle car. And if this really were a man’s last stand, what a feeble whimper it would be to signal the end of masculinity! I have no life, no dignity, no self-respect, no courage, no volition, no conviction and no taste, but at least I have $26,000 worth of metal to hide in! To all the knuckleheads out there nodding along to this trash, allow me to enlighten you.

If your work is so benumbing that the best you can do is ‘sit through it’, I suggest you are in the wrong job. A little imagination will sort that out. Since you’re already in a job, a position of strength, getting another – a better – one shouldn’t be too daunting a task. If it’s broke, fix it. And if the person you claim to love is as absolutely horrible to you as the archetype of woman in this ad, might I suggest that you take matters in hand and bring the relationship to a conclusion. Of course, the real issue is with the advertiser’s notion of woman as a hen-pecking, nagging, domineering malignancy. Does it really need to be said that women are not actually like this? And if yours is, either take it on trust that you have not done well in the sexual selection stakes, and that you can do better, or take a long hard look at yourself. What are you doing to make her so miserable that she is after you all the time? No doubt being an absolute wimp who blows his salary on a Dodge Charger. Try a bit harder and you will find a pleasant change in her demeanour.

Footnote: at the point in the ad where the car appears, note the small print: ‘Do not attempt. Professional driver on a closed course’. If you’re looking for a domineering malignancy, look no further than the litigation averse political correctness of companies that do not actually have a shred of the conviction they purport to sell.

8 comments:

  1. We live in a matriarchal society-my daughter even told me that they taught her that at school! No wonder we need sites like yours. Women are in charge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got myself a Google account-I am anonymous above. This is a great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Steven, and welcome. Please feel free to become a 'follower'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know I said it before, and that I shouldn't have to have this opinion, but in the public world that is I appreciate your stand and salute you as heroic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bless you Claire. If you keep on in this way I may begin to believe you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Strange advert.What I find most strange is that a lot of the things that these men 'have to' do - eat fruit, put the seat down,be civil to someone they don't really like,be polite to their boss, carry a small item for their girlfriend, put their dirty laundry in the basket etc.... surely these are the markings of any man (or indeed non-gender specific human being) who gives a damn about their personal appearance, manners, health and having a reasonably clean/tidy home? They are not 'chores' to be resented or some arduous tasks which only men who are under the thumb or their boss or woman HAVE TO DO in order to just get through the day....they do not make men less manly- in fact they show good taste, good manners, elegance and refinement! They are the core traits of manliness! Or are men supposed to aspire to be bad mannered, unshaven loutish beings who live in filthy homes and never put the seat down?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here Here!! Liath

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails