July 15, 2011

On Waiting; On Persevering

You must go on, I can’t go on, I’ll go on.


I apologise for my patchy presence of late. Work rolls in unpredictable tides, and I can hardly complain about being up to my neck in the rising waters. At some point I expect to stop floundering and start floating. After that I’ll start thinking about navigation, but one mustn’t get ahead of oneself. In any case, professional obligations are impinging on the limited writing space my head will allow, and that accounts for the recent dearth. Normal service will, I am sure, be resumed anon.

Of course, in asking for your patience, I am mindful of my own waiting and persevering game. The world of the writer/scholar is not the jet-setting and exotic existence one might be forgiven for thinking it is. Travel is a blessing, yes, but when one is constantly in search of bread it is easy to forget the joyousness of it all. Being left to the contrivances of one’s own mind is a liberation, but often also a frustrating constraint. Nobody ever tells me what to do at work. Sometimes – and I immediately chide myself for so thinking – I wish somebody would tell me what to do. Working independently forces a man to confront the thing upon which he is never fully sure he can depend: himself. It is a constant battle of organisation, self-imposed dead lines, motivation, and crises of self-assurance and confidence. The structure provided by a regular job has to be provided entirely by the self. In short, it takes a good deal of will continually to make it work. Knowing that the intended goal is worthwhile is important. Persevering into the biting gale of procrastination is at least equally significant.

Bear with me, dear friends. I’ll be with you soon.

6 comments:

  1. Tell me about it, I'm married to one, which requires a lot of independence, luckily I embrace solitude, however i have been known to whine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A familiarity with Beckett is often the sign of a true gentleman. Interestingly, if I'm not mistaken, I saw the production of Godot from which that promotional picture was taken (the Gate Theatre, Dublin); it was my introduction to the great man. Funny how these things come full circle.

    Your contributions, however far apart, are always appreciated, doctor. I look forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm also doing my best to be patient and persevere through this time of tribulation, Mr. VB. My awareness of you as an exemplary anchor of manliness has provided much needed consolation, sir.

    I've been reading a bit of Ernst Junger. Do you have any thoughts regarding this gentleman's representation of manliness?

    "One can get used to anything- even hell."
    Russian Proverb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tell me about it! :D...unfortunately this is part of the game and comes with the package...just be patient....Your contributions are always appreciated here! I look forward to more,specially after reading a few of your earlier posts, doctor!
    have a great week.
    xxx
    lila

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is the best thing about having a blog, there is no schedule except the one that is self-imposed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Indeed, the pic is from the Gate. Well spotted. Hilton, I honestly know nothing of Ernst Junger. Hang in there, my friend. And thanks all for the encouragement.
    VB

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails